Tethered is coming together well according to the schedule we planned out. We all spent a week mainly focused on research, specifically focusing on domestic abuse that occurs outside of the norms of male abusing female and finding resources that discussed how issues other than gender played into abusive relationships. This research further strengthened our belief that abstract representation is the best way to address the issue, as domestic abuse is a problem across different races, classes, and sexualities. We also agreed on the “report” option not being successful every time after reading about issues abused partners can have when seeking help, and have discussed the specific way we would need to incorporate this into our game in GameMaker.
As far as the game itself goes, we have reskinned the demo to create the feel of the final game, using cube sprites to represent the players. We have also been playing with the relative sizes of the characters to the maze walls before creating the maze itself. I created several small sections of maze of various sizes in which to test this. I also programmed the game’s view area to show only a small section of the maze and follow one of the players, rather than showing the entire maze. The current goal is to create a separate mock-up for what each player’s screen would look like, with Player A’s screen showing less of the entire maze, and Player B receiving additional hints as they progress.
We ran into, and have since fixed, an issue with the player characters’ interactions with each other. We decided that we wanted players to be able to pass through each other for ease of navigation, but unchecking the “solid” box for an object did not change their behavior. While we were unsure what to do about this Bekka created a version of the game using the game creation software Construct 2 with the core features, to test whether we might want to use this program instead. We found a long-forgotten option in one of our player actions that fixed the issue though, and opted to keep working with GameMaker.
At this point, we almost have the entire maze incorporated into our game. Justin has researched maze design and has drafted a maze of appropriate size on paper, the only step left for this is translating it into our GameMaker room. Our next step after this will be playing with the view sizes and incorporating other features such as the police or friend blocks, in-game text to teach Player A their “abuse” button, and hints for Player B. Finally, we will create the introduction screen as well as additional text or screens for players being booted, a character abusing their partner too much, and winning the game.